where is our hope?

For the past however many weeks, everytime Huff turns on the radio in the morning, it's always a depressing story. Number of Covid rose by (insert number). This lady had just lost her job, here's how she's suffering right now. This man is abused at home due to self isolation, here's his story. That person had Covid, hers how they're suffering. 

Story after story after story, everyday, relentlessly chipping away our joy and hope in life. Making us anxious and worried about what's going to happen. 

Some turned to panic buying. Some turned to alcohol. Some turned to crafting. 

As Christians how are we meant to deal with? We who are enlightened even before Covid. What do we do with our knowledge that this world is temporary and we are living in the wrong side of the Kingdom? 

For me, personally, Covid is a time where all my idols are visibly smashed into the ground. One by one. Sure many other idols are lined up to take up the missing space, only to be immediately smashed after taking that space. 

Do I really trust God with all my heart and lean not on my own Understanding?
Is He really my shepherd, the one who leads me to still waters and quenches my thirst?
Is He really my hope when there is no hope?
Is He really my saviour, my salvation, my one and only treasure? 

I don't do it all the time, but, I've learnt to ask these questions everytime I hear or watch a depressing story. It's not the end. Our hope is not here. Death could not separate us from the love of our Saviour Jesus. 

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2     He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3     he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

Popular Posts