On ministry growth and numbers

The Parable of the Talents
14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
Matthew 25:14-30


My husband and I run a thriving young adults bible study for the past 3 years. It started out really great and had been doing really well for 2 years. We had almost 15 young adults coming regularly every week and they're keen to learn and to encourage one another. We had a wonderful dynamic and it was fun. 

This year, due to life circumstances, our bible study dynamic changed. Quite a lot of people had to leave the area so they're no longer able to come and some who are still left behind had picked up more work or busier uni life than the previous years. We saw our numbers dwindled from 15 young adults to just 4-5. 

It was discouraging when we see this happening. We had a new person coming this year but he wasn't enough to make up for what we had. 

This really challenged me about ministry. As leaders, the person in charge to care and lead these people we feel it more deeply. 

It's easy to fall into self pity and guilt and wondering why and what we could've done. 

As I was pondering, God challenged me about my own ministry in general. He asked me this question: "would you be faithful with the few the same way you were faithful with the many?" "Whose glory was it for when you had a big group, and whose glory is it for now?" 

In my obsession with the numbers, I have forgotten the people. I have forgotten that each and every single person in that group is treasured by God. It doesn't matter if my group is 100 or 1, I need to love every single one because they're His. 

I have forgotten that each of these people need to be reminded and encouraged in their walk in their own unique way. And perhaps the small number allows us to be able to minister more effectively. 

I started this post with the parable of the talents. I do believe that this parable is about this very thing. Will we be faithful with the little He gives us for the sake of His kingdom and glory. After all, whether we minister to a church or bible study of 1000 or 1 who gets the glory from it all?

Popular Posts